Sunday, January 19, 2020

One Love Jam- photos #3- 1/18/2020

The Chairman at a board meeting.  Martin Aparijo, drinking a coffee to make his Pepsi jealous.  Don't tell anyone, but Martin's actually a really cool guy, helping all kinds of people step up their game in and out of riding.  He also has a million great stories of the days before most of us started riding.  If you ever get the chance, ask him some old school question and just sit back and listen.
San Diego flatland legend, big influence to most of us guys, longtime touring pro at Haro, Dave Nourie.  He's still ripping it up and laving fun with it all.
Nourie, doing his thing.
Close-up, mid trick.  Dave Nourie again.
Cru Jones was in the house.  Some of the guys at One Love Jam were riding hard when the movie Rad was released in 1986.  But many of the young bucks, you know, those guys in their 40's now, got into BMX because of the movie Rad.  Here's a little clip of Bill from 2014, talking about how he ended up starring in Rad, and his life since. 

One of my most popular blog posts ever was "Why I hated the movie Rad when it came out."  I had nothing against Bill, Eddie Fiola, Martin Aparijo, and the riders, I just hated that the plot was so goofy, for the vert first American movie to have BMX freestyle in it.  I was so invested in freestyle in 1986, and such an uptight dork in general, that when I saw Rad in the theater, I was just completely bummed.  Except for the credits, that was "real riding" in my book.  I actually liked Quicksilver, the bicycle messenger movie, a lot better.  The jam session in Quicksilver was actually a lot closer to an actual BMX session, just on different bikes.  And it had Martin and Woody in it.  In the early 90's, when I heard the Sheep Hills guys talking about how much they liked Rad, like Sean Butler, I began to realize how many people wound up getting interested in BMX because of Rad's popularity on home video.

I liked BMX Bandits a lot, too, which was on HBO all the time in 1987.  That movie had that cute redhead, Nicole something...  Whatever happened to her?  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Punk rock Pinterest... is not a thing... but I keep trying

This post is for all the freaks, geeks, dorks, and weirdos.  Not the ones who check Tik Tok to find the latest way to dress "edgy.&quo...