Friday, April 26, 2019

A solid look at Business Disruption ahead...


I had never heard of Patrick Bet David before I bookmarked this a day or two ago.  This guy's an entrepreneur, he's obviously involved in today's rapidly changing, tech enabled world, and he makes A LOT of sense.  I don't agree with everything, but that's the point.  He's making me think about  change that I haven't dreamed of... and I think about these types of things continuously.

As I've written before in this blog, I think we're in an 80 year (or so) period where our new technology is disrupting every business model, and every aspect of society.  I call this The Big Transition.  This video, which is a year old, challenges us to consider major disruption in 10 industries and one other area.  Here are the industries he sees changing and/or disappearing:
Restaurants, Movie theaters, Telecommunications, Wallets, Personal cars, Retailers, Insurance, Traditional journalists, College sports, Gas stations.  Bonus: Politics.

I don't agree with everything, and he's coming at this from a completely upscale financial viewpoint.  There are more poor people than ever, there will be millions more in the future, and they 1) need many of these things at some level (like Walmart and cheap restaurants), and 2) millions of late adapters and the financially left behind people slow "progress" down dramatically.  That said, he makes a lot of valid arguments worth considering, especially if you're involved in these areas.

Things have changed dramatically in the last 30-40 years, and more things will change faster in the next 20 or so years.  In any case, employee or business owner, these ideas are worth the time to listen to and mull over.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Punk rock Pinterest... is not a thing... but I keep trying

This post is for all the freaks, geeks, dorks, and weirdos.  Not the ones who check Tik Tok to find the latest way to dress "edgy.&quo...