Thursday, July 25, 2024

Going to jail for being poor...


 California governor Gavin Newsom just signed an executive order to allow local governments to "clean-up" homeless encampments.  

Hey, Hitler "solved" homelessness... for a few years, anyhow.  He almost "solved" intellectualness, Jewishness, gayness, and a few other things, too.  That's one way to look at this.  Anyone who has any sense of history knew this was coming. I'm homeless.  I don't drink.  I don't do any drugs, legal or illegal.  I don't suffer from depression.  But I will probably be arrested in the coming days, weeks, or months for being poor and homeless.  The reality is that I can disappear from view, social media, and any functional part of society, at any time now.  I knew this was coming.  

The German concentration camps of the 1930's disappeared their homeless population long before most other groups were targeted and sent to the camps.  I heard that years ago in an interview with a woman who was 8 or 9 and living in Berlin when it happened.  She said that the first time she realized something was really wrong was when all the homeless people disappeared one night, and none of the adults said anything at all about it.  They acted like it didn't happen.  That interview is somewhere in the KPFK/Pacific archives.  

If you like anything I've ever written online, find it now, and print out a hard copy to save.  

I don't know how long things will take to play out.  For anyone wondering, this is why my Club White Bear logo has a downward pointing black triangle in it.  That was the symbol used in the Nazi concentration camps for lesbians, vagrants and beggars (homeless),  alcoholics, drug addicts, mentally ill, developmentally disabled, and other "antisocial" types.  

At any time now, I could be arrested for simply being homeless and living outside.  But, the assorted cities and towns don't have anywhere near the money to house the tens of thousands of homeless people in California, either in jail, or anywhere else at this point.  So this process of "removing us all from public view," however it plays out, will most likely take weeks or months.  We'll see.  

I've been doing most of my writing lately on Substack, a platform designed specifically for writers.  Check it out:  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Harry Leary Tribute

BMX lost one of the all time top riders last week, Harry Leary.  One of the early legends of BMX racing, Harry Leary, passed away last Satur...