Thursday, May 30, 2019

BMX Freestyle overload... Bob Haro's beginning and my latest Sharpie drawing of John "Dizz" Hicks

Masterclass Bob Haro - Paris 2012 from Seb Satoorne on Vimeo.

After commenting on their photos on a French Old School BMX Facebook group Monday, I got to FB chatting with Seb Ronjon and later Franck Belliot.  They put on this amazing exhibit about BMX, skateboarding, and scooter culture in 2011-12 called Beton Hurlant, in France.  Not only that, but they flew Bob Haro over to check it out and comment on the exhibit.  You can watch that video here, it's 17 minutes.

In addition, they put on the "Bob Haro Master Class," the video above.  Bob shows slides and talks about how BMX freestyle began, in his own words.  It's an hour long, I watched it, and it's just epic.  This is how all of our lives changed because Bob liked doing tricks on his BMX bike.  So if you're an old school freestyler, make some popcorn, or get a pizza and a couple brews, and lock yourself in a room where you can watch this in peace.  I've never heard this explained so in depth by Bob himself before.

Also, Tuesday marked three weeks that I've been back here in Southern California, and I finally got back to a little bit of my Sharpie drawing.  I've been busy trying to adjust, settle in, and get the Block Bikes Blog and online store going.  While I've done a couple Sharpie "doodle art" drawings recently, the black and white stuff, I didn't do and of my scribble style stuff in about a month. 

That's the longest gap in drawing since I got serious trying to sell my Sharpie art in late 2015.  I lost all my art supplies, some were stolen (most likely by "authority types with badges" in Richmond), and the rest were lost when Greyhound switched buses on us, on my trip here. 

Armed with brand new Sharpies and a sketch pad, I did this 11" X 14" drawing.  I'm calling it "Dizz-pocalypse."  Just a new type of background idea, I wanted to try out.  I just got the OK from John "Dizz" Hicks to sell 20 copies of these.  So those of you reading this get first dibs.  20 high quality color copies, best I can manage, signed and numbered, for $20 each.  California residents add 7.25% sales tax (Damn, that went up!)  So that's $21.45 for CA people.  Reply on Facebook or email to reserve your place in line.   Paypal the $ to me at: stevenemig13@gmail.com (steven, with a "v", not steve).  Poster tube and shipping is about $7.50-$8, so I'm not making a ton off these, but it will definitely help me get back on track.  You guys know my story.  Here's the drawing.  The colors are brighter in person, I need to get photos on the new phone down, it washed out a bit.

#sharpiescribblestyle on Instagram, Google Images, Facebook, or Twitter to see the 100 drawings before this...

No comments:

Post a Comment

UCLA-Gaza War/Pro Palestine college protests

  Democracy Now (of WBAI radio NYC/Pacifica Stations), April 30, 2024 report of students at Columbia University occupying Hamilton Hall, the...