Sunday, January 26, 2020

Predictions: As we head blindly into 2020


What do I see coming in the financial world in 2020?  I see a bunch of dominoes all lined up, the big dominoes are the biggest levels of debt in human history.  Government debt, corporate debt, student debt, mortgage debt, credit card debt, auto loan debt.  The seizing up in the Repo market back in September was the beginning of the dominoes falling, and now many forces are trying to hold back the inevitable.  I don't bet on sailing ships, I bet on the tide, it's always there, and when it turns, everything else begins to change.  You can swim against the tide for a while, but it always wins in the long run.  Shit's gonna get crazy(ier) this year.  Some people say I'm a doomsayer, but really I'm just sharing the news that a storm is coming, a big one, like I did in this blog post on January 2, 2018, when I said this:

"Something, maybe Trump's looming impeachment and leaving office, (and Pence might get the boot, too), will trigger a collapse like 2008." 
-Me (Steve Emig), January 2, 2018

I have a history of being a bit early on predictions.  But I wrote that one a few days after President Trump signed the huge tax cut bill into law.  If you listen to the news clip embedded, former CNBC show host, and current presidential advisor, Larry Kudlow, says, "I believe we're on the front end of an investment boom."  He also went on to say that the GOP (Republicans) had nothing to worry about in the 2018 mid-term elections.  We know how that turned out. In this same blog post, I predicted that  the stock market would go a bit higher, then we'd head into a recession.  Everybody in the financial world, at that time, seemed to think Dow 30,000 was just around the corner, and all assets would surge higher for 3 or 4 more years.  My opinion was ridiculous to anyone involved in the financial world.

In reality, Larry and I were both wrong.  The stock market, as you can see in this Dow Jones Industrial Average chart (click to "5 year" chart), the Dow peaked less than a month after this clip, January 26th, 2018, at 26, 616.71.  By Christmas 2018, all the main stock averages were down 10% to 20%.  They climbed back, spurred by The Fed's lowering of interest rates.  The Dow did not get back above 26, 616, and stay above it, for another 19 months, until last September, when the Liquidity Now Known as QE4, began.  Larry Kudlow was getting high on his own supply, so to speak, in in January 2018.  On my side, we didn't go into a recession in 2018.  The Dow, S&P 500, and Russell 2000 went a bit higher for about three weeks, then started heading down, as I predicted.  The Nasdaq surged until September, then headed down hard.  I completely underestimated The Fed's drive to prop up the economy through November 2020, to get Trump into another 4 year term.

That said, here are my much more specific predictions for the financial world in 2020:

I predict Donald Trump will be forced out of office before the 2020 election in November.  This may not be from the impeachment "trial," it may come from some other reason later on.  I also predict that Vice President Mike Pence will not be able to step into the role of president, for some reason.

In the financial markets, I see us hitting or passing these numbers before December 31st, 2020:

Dow Jones Industrial Average:  It will go below 19,000
Nasdaq: It will go below 5,600
S&P 500: It will go below 2,250
Russell 2000: It will go below 1,125

Gold:  It will surpass $2,750 per troy ounce
Silver:  It will surpass $60 per troy ounce

Bitcoin:  I have no fucking idea, that's shit's crazy.  But it will likely be higher than it is now.  Young people will throw money in Bitcoin and other cryptos as things head downhill, most likely.

I predict Deutsche Bank will go into some form of bankruptcy this year.

I predict GE (General Electric) will also go into some form of bankruptcy this year.

I predict that Warren Buffet, despite losing several billion in net worth, will be one happy camper.  He and Charlie Munger finally be able to start putting Berkshire Hathaway's $120 cash pile to work into really good investments.

OK there are my predictions for 2020.  As of this writing on January 26, 2020, all but the two bankruptcies seem very unlikely, to just plain ridiculous, to pretty much every intelligent person.  Those two seem pretty unlikely, at this point, but possible to a few people.  In 11 months and a few days, you can call me out for being wrong, trolls.  If I am wrong.  Time will tell.

Remember... a recession is when the whole world goes on sale, and almost no one wants to buy.

I think we are entering one of the greatest times for financial opportunity in human history.  The trick is to weather this storm, and not end human history in some stupid way.  I'm calling this coming decade "The Phoenix Great Depession."  A big crash, with some really cool things rising from the ashes... eventually.


Blogger's note- About 12:00 noon, PDT, Monday, March 9, 2020- I have not edited a word of this post since originally writing it on January 26th, 2020.  But today, after a couple of tumultuous weeks, the Dow is down 1,813 points at the moment, after being down over 2,000 earlier today.  This 6-7% one day drop is due to a collapse in oil prices, brought on by a price war between Russia and Saudi Arabia.  To be honest, the stock market started dropping sooner than I expected this spring, but this is largely what I saw coming this year, at some point. 

But looking back at this post, I didn't write the levels the stock markets, and gold and silver, were at, at the time I wrote this post.  So I'm adding that information now, using internet price charts.  When I wrote this post on Sunday, January 26th, the Dow was at 28,989 the previous Friday, and expected to soon reach 30,000 by nearly everyone.  My predictions seemed ludicrous to most, and went completely against prevailing wisdom.  So here are the approximate stock index levels when I wrote this post on January 26th, 2020:

Dow Jones Industrial Average- 28, 989.
Nasdaq 100-  9,314.91
S & P 500- 3,296.47
Russell 2000- 1,662.23

Gold- $1,571.10 per troy ounce
Silver- $18.06 per troy ounce

The gold and silver prices I predicted seem crazy to me, but we have over 9 1/2 months left in 2020, and things are already crazy this year.  I'm sticking by all of my predictions above. We'll see how close I am on each of these at the end of the year.  Then you can wonder how a broke, homeless man in L.A. made these predictions when nearly everyone else saw a much different future in the markets, back in January.

Blogger's note- 3/18/2023- Just for the record, I have not changed anything in the original text of this post, or the first Blogger's note, above.  I have a new blog now called Adaptive Reuse SoCal, about finding new uses for old, abandoned, and unused buildings, as well as the economy, and commerical real estate in general.  Check it out!

1 comment:

  1. Warren, Charlie, and Berkshire Hathaway were sitting on $120 billion or more in "cash" (liquid assets) to go shopping with. Typo, my mistake, left out "billion" above, in the blog post. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete

Slappy Days are here again...

I used to hate it when lazy magazine writers would use a popular old song title or tag line as the title to an article or TV segment, when I...